Mastering is an often misunderstood process. The question often pops up "do I really need to have my music mastered?" The answer is yes! The next question is: Who should I have master it? In theory anyone with a digital audio workstation and some plug ins can do it. These results vary greatly in results but usually fall short or truly making sound significantly better and often make songs sound even worse. We at the Jam Room have mastered 100's of Lp's and singles with great results for many years. All of this mastering has been done in the Jam Room using a combination of high ens analog gear such as out Manley and Great River mastering EQ's, Crane Song compressor Crane Song HEDD converter along with our favorite mastering plug-is. While this was the best mastering set up in the area, it was not a dedicated mastering studio. The Jam Room control room is primarily a tracking and mixing space. The idea of changing this began last summer as we began a relationship with Stefan Heger, a mastering engineer and studio designer from Cologne Germany who was temporarily relocating to Columbia S.C.
What is the process of mastering at our studio?
1. The client books a session and provides us with stereo wav. files of the mixed songs. These files should be 24 bit and not be over compressed or limited by the mix engineer.
2. We load the files into our mastering session and route them and give them a listen though our Guzauski-Swist Audio Systems GS-3A monitors.
3. We then route the mixes trough out Dangerous Music Mastering Console which routes the music to out outboard analog gear. This is usually our Dangerous BAX EQ, Rockruepel - Comp.two Kompressor, and Dangerous Compressor.
4. We then begin the process of making the songs sound bigger and better through the use of the compressors , EQ and adjusting the stereo width.
5. Then the signal is re converted to digital through a world class analog to digital converter and apply final tweaks to EQ, limiting and adjustment of the stereo width our favorite plug ins.
6. Before the final real time rendering of the masters we closely listen to the beginning and end of each song to be sure there are no extra space or noises and make any needed edits of fades.
7. We then play each song in real time while we listen and create the master for each song to ensure that there are no unforeseen noises or problems.
8. We then name and export each song in the file format that best suits the clients needs, wav. files, mp3s and production masters for vinyl lps ect... and deliver the files via dropbox or physical copies when required.
What do we offer that many others offering the service of mastering don't?
An un-comprised monitoring environment including world class monitor speakers and amplification along with a professionally acoustically designed and tuned room.
Respected mastering engineers each with 100's of credits of widely distributed music and many for major record labels.
The choice between several pro engineers that specialize in different genres. We are just as comfortable with slick pop, country, reggae and hip-hop as we are with edgier metal, indie and punk.
We carefully tweak each song with audiophile quality analog gear witch gives a bigger and better final result than any digital plug ins are capable of.
We understand the vinyl format and are experienced in making masters optimized to sound best on LPs and 7"s.
We happily work on home recordings and projects recorded at other pro and semi pro studios and
5/1/2016 07:31:40 pm
Can you email prices or should I call?
5/2/2016 12:57:23 pm
Hi Bigg Cee,
Leave a Reply.